Sunday, February 22, 2009

Unexpected expectations





















When he sat on my couch,
I could only think of a million things
That I wish he wouldn't say
I hoped he'd prove himself to me

My mind fumbled for words
My heart raced
I couldn't keep up with
Its fast pace

I waited for the silence to break
How he sat comfortably reclined,
Anticipation and peace
Illuminating his face.

Hello my name is...
he began,
I quietly sat awed in shock
Of merriness.

He asked me for my name
He wasn't like the others,
He didn't know a thing about me
He had that one chance to find out.

I looked down at the floor
My eyes glued to the objects before me
My hands sweating and wondering
Whether this guy was right for me.

As the conversation grew
The level of comfort increased
Smiles were spread across his face
Of course I couldn't see...

But I took a peak,
And let my mom tell me
If he was this guy
I had been hoping for all along

If so, pinch me.
He held me like glue
In his conversation
He was funny too.

At last he took his last stride
Out my front door
And I laughed aloud
As I ran to my room.

Changing into sweatpants
From my white and blue sari,
I started running
For my mommy.

There she was looking shy as ever
As if she was the one in my place
And I couldn't help but smile
At the awkward silence that was in the air.

I told her what I thought
He was nice. Alhamdulillah.
She was happy, at last Mr. Right
Fulfilling her motherhood dreams.

They left me with a ring
Did it mean anything
I was having a hard time understanding
All the culture-religion shocks.

Alhamdulillah, he blew me away
As I'd heard before,
Arraigned marriages
Rarely work this way.

How silly I was thinking
I could find him by myself
Without any help,
Without any guidance.

How simple it was,
Pray to Allah,
Ask for help,
Listen and accept.

The timeline was prescribed
Get married 'as quickly as possible'
Do not let shaitan have his chance
To destroy good plans.

After 3 weeks or so,
I was no longer single.
He became my husband
And I became his wife.

Now let's fast-forward to reality
And let me tell you the truth
I am married, and it was arraigned,
And it's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

---

(Meena Jewelers)

No comments: