Monday, March 29, 2010

Journalism, a way of life.

He cried.
He cried while I was interviewing.

He was hungry.
He was hungry and I couldn't feed him while I was on the phone.

He was cold.
He was cold and I couldn't hold him as I completed the interview.

Journalists have to ignore life.
They have to ignore real life to get to facts.

Facts take up time.
Facts help people.

Journalists have to make sacrifices.

They have to lock themselves up in rooms.
They talk on the phone at undesired times.
They go to places they would've otherwise not have entered.

Journalists are truth-seekers, people "savers," investigators.

Best of all, journalists are human beings.
Human beings who ignore their life to get to a message.

A clear message -- is it worth family sacrifice?
Is it worth letting the baby cry?
Is it worth the few cents you get while spending hours?

Journalism, the cost of life.

No comments: